Welcome to Radcliffe Hall

A traditional and intimate location

for your Events, Parties and Receptions

OUR SERVICES

A traditional and intimate location for Events, Parties and Receptions
The Hall is available to hire throughout the year for single events and regular bookings for the whole community.

Weddings
Ceremonies & Receptions

Balls / Children’s Parties

Charity Venue

Evening Classes


The Hall has disabled access, a fully stocked bar, kitchen, ballroom, beautiful grounds space for a marquee and ample free parking. We can offer a complete package with our trained planning team to suit your requirements for every occasion!

our best portfolio

  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat

    RAYMOND DOE, CO-FOUNDER & CEO
  • Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat

    RAYMOND DOE, CO-FOUNDER & CEO

A BRIEF HISTORY OF RADCLIFFE HALL

The Hall situated on Main Road next to the church was built in the late 18th century and has 19th century extensions. It had its roots in farming with the Taylor family (who originated from Lancashire) who farmed here for at least one hundred years. The land reached southwards from the hall and covered 162 acres


In 1851 William Taylor, a widower aged 68 was living there with his son John and 2 daughters, all unmarried and in their 30's with 7 servants. Both William and his son John Bagshaw were very active in village and public life. William died in 1857 and John Bagshaw Taylor became the owner of the Hall. John gave up farming in 1873 but continued to live at the Hall for another 10 years. After his wife died he left the Hall and in 1885 Leonard Foster a railway contractor became the tenant. In July 1890 John B Taylor put up for auction the whole of the furniture and contents of the house and outbuildings together with a small library of books. The house was described as having a drawing room, dining room, study, hall and staircases, workroom, 6 principal bedrooms, servants hall and kitchens, 7 maidservants bedrooms, and 2 manservants bedrooms. Outside there was a greenhouse, an apple chamber, a coach house and stables. In 1894 Wentworth E Claye, a Railway Rolling Stock Manufacturer moved in with his family. His son Charles G Claye was to lose his life fighting in the first world war. The Hall was eventually sold in 1905 by William Henry Wood Taylor (son of J B Taylor) to Samuel Smith a Nottingham Lace Manufacturer. Samuel died in 1912 but his widow Helena and their son, Howard continued to live there. In 1916 Helena opened the hall as a convalescent home for wounded officers. She married one of the patients, Captain Norman Lloyd Dexter and they lived there until 1939.
A Mrs Ivy Gianelli bought it in 1939 and ran it as the Radcliffe County Club, however in 1950 the club was heavily fined for licensing offences, resulting from a police raid on 5 August that year. The club was struck off the licensing register and the 2 proprieters were each fined £30 but 52 men and women who were in the club at the time were fined a total of £53.10s.0d. In 1947 Mrs Gianelli had applied to Bingham Rural Council to build a sports stadium at the Hall. This was to consist of a stadium and stand for 3000 people and included a dog track, swimming pool, ballroom and cafe. Needless too say it was refused. It was acquired by the Royal British Legion in 1951 at a cost of £8,500 and so began the transformation of the Hall into the local headquarters of the Royal British Legion. The old servants quarters were made into 3 self-contained flats. Other upstairs rooms were used by the catholic congregation of the village. During the 1950's the annual summer fetes were held on the extensive grounds behind the hall. A club house for the British Legion was built in the converted stables and outbuildings.
In November 1986 the Hall was grade 11 listed by English Heritage.
Marion Caunt- Radcliffe Local History Society

Please Call to book 01159336313

WE ARE TRAINED TO SUIT YOUR REQUIREMENTS FOR EVERY OCCASION!

Other activities in Radcliffe hall

It is good to know there are other business and activities at the Radcliffe hall ..

contact us

LOCATION

17 Main Road, Radcliffe on Trent NG12 2FD

TELEPHONE

01159336313

E-MAIL

radcliffehall@btconnect.com